Reason for starting this blog

Hi everyone

I literally just decided to start this blog.

In the next few blogs I will tell you more about my journey to where I am today, but this first blog I'll start with the day I was born.

I was born in the small town Ceres in the middle of freezing winter, if you've ever been there you will know it's very cold. After I was born the doctor who did all the necessary tests on me believed to take a blood test on new born babies for their thyroid levels, apparently this was before it was an official test to do. He found out that my thyroid levels weren't normal. My parents were sent to a hospital somewhere in Cape Town where they were told I was born without an thyroid gland. I was put on Eltroxin for the rest of my life. Since I was so young I have no knowledge about any side effects or any cool stories. I can only remember a few things. What I do know is that if that doctor didn't do that test I wouldn't be the same person as I am today since the hormones your thyroid gland produces are very important for a child's grow and every day functions.

As a young child we all use to take naps, not sure when you stop doing that, but I was still taking afternoon naps in grade 1 and 2. In primary school I was never much of an athlete. I was always in the C netball team, but I enjoyed it since there were far less pressure from anyone. I only did sports for the fun of it anyway.

Blood draws and doctor visits. remember how I use to cry, kick and scream like crazy when my blood had to be taken. my mom never use to tell me beforehand we would just go do it directly without prior knowledge so I won't get all worked up about it. I was about grade 5 when for the very first time I didn't cry. There was a time when our family where going through some financial difficulty so I probably didn't go for enough blood draws or doctor's visits. But I do remember getting my blood draws at a public clinic, there is always help available you just have to be willing to ask for help and give some time for it. I've never not taken my medication, I can't remember from what age I was taking it all by myself but my mom says I was young. It was part of routine and my own responsibility from a young age.

The blog will be more of my past stories about my life and this disorder effecting my life. How I cope with it and how it makes me feel.

I've Googled born without an thyroid gland so many times and I can't seem to find someone who understands. I have found a woman on Facebook who posts articles about thyroid disorders, but the only downside is it is not South African. The Facebook Page is called Thyroid Mom.

I'm starting this blog to create a platform for people who are going through the same struggles in South Africa to talk and to let us all know that we are not alone. One of the worst this about having this disorder is feeling like you are not understood and not heard until you talk with someone who has the same struggles. I have never met someone who is born without a thyroid gland so I understand.

Click on this link and do the quiz if you think your thyroid might not be doing his job properly:
http://testyourthyroid.com/?t=102150a068d19027310a999d4c9a66&a=3328&o=8&source=&aff_sub=&aff_sub2=&aff_sub3=&aff_sub4=&aff_sub5=&opt_in=8

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New beginnings

Third month on Eltroxin New Formulation

After exams