The symptom I'm struggling with the most: Super Itchy Skin

Hi everyone

If someone were to ask me what's the thing I struggling with most, my answer would be itchy skin. When I say itchy you probably just think itchy like a mosquito bite that's just super irritating. No, what I'm referring to is itching to the point where I cry and pray to God to just make it stop. The area that is itching so bad is my legs. The rest of my body sometimes too, but never as bad as my legs. Your first thought would be to get my levels checked, I promise you they are where they should me.

The thyroid gland is linked to skin growth, therefore itchy skin is a common symptom for people with hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism can affect the sweat and oil producing glands which then dries out the skin. An underactive thyroid causes the body's metabolic rate to decrease. This abnormally low metabolic rate can also affect the skin's ability to grow and repair itself as it should, causing the skin to be itchy. For hyperthyroidism, this increased blood flow to the skin can result in itchiness too.
(Reference: Itchy Skin and Thyroid Problems). Hypothyroid Symptoms & Itching says that 90% of patients with Hypothyroidism suffer from skin dryness and scaling.

For me this is the thing I struggle with the most, just typing this makes me emotional. It's not something people would understand if they don't have the same problem and itching just sounds like something that's not a big deal at all. Like, just get over it. It's not that easy. I'm trying to get rid of the itchiness, but I'm not succeeding I only manage to itch less but when I do it's bad.

How I'm dealing with it at the moment:
  • I bath and don't shower at all. Bath is warm, not hot. Hot baths can make it worse.
  • Bath is washed at least once a week and after washing it I rinse it a few times to make sure no chemicals will be in my bath water.
  • I use Sanex shower and bath gel

  • I moisturize twice a day and never skip
  • I shave with Dove soap, because shaving cream or gel makes my skin feel even drier.
  • I shave with disposable razors, because I can only use them a few times or my skin goes all red. With a few times I mean about 5 times.
Moisturizer...that's a hard topic. I've tried cheap, to medium priced and then expensive too. I've kind of come to the conclusion that I'll keep searching for something that works, what works now might not work in the future. I was about to give up the search when I realised I should try body butters, because they are thicker and richer. When I moisturize it feels like nothing is nourishing or feeding my skin (really hope that makes sense). Like the lotion, cream or body butter just sits on top of my skin, but it still feels dry.

On my search for a good body butter that works I tried The Body Shop Shea body butter for very dry skin, my skin never itched so bad before and I used the whole pot for about two weeks. It costs R175 in stores now for 200ml, which to me is a lot and it doesn't work for me. Then I tried the cheapest body butter you will probably find at Pep for about R15. I buy 2 at a time so R30 a month for something that works is great. I've been using this for months and is works. I'm not going to lie I still itch like crazy some times, but fewer times than before.
Bramley Cocoa Heaven body butter can be found in Pep stores.

If you have been struggling to find something that works for you, don't give up you will find it. Please give me recommendations and tell me what you are using, it will be very much appreciated ðŸ˜Š

Have a great day
xoxo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New beginnings

Third month on Eltroxin New Formulation

After exams