Answering your questions


Hi everyone

I know it's been a while, but postgrad is keeping me busy and tired. As you know by now I'm answering some of your questions. These are questions from moms that have children with Congenital  Hypothyroidism as well as other people with thyroid conditions. I love hearing and talking to all of you, always feel free to get in contact with me. Easiest would be through Instagram, but you can contact me through Facebook and email as well.

How did I know I was born without a thyroid?
My parents found out a few days after I was born when the results from all the tests came back. 

Have you been on medication since birth?
From as soon as they found out, since the thyroid hormones is very important for growth and development. I have skipped a day here and there, only once 2 days and I felt sick. I haven't skipped a day in years.

Did you have a normal life?
Yes I did. I'm not sick, I just need to take care of myself. I just have less energy than my peers and I need more sleep. Those are things you adapt to and I'm ok with that. I graduated last year with a Bachelor's of Commerce degree in Investment Management and I'm now doing my Postgraduate Certificate in Education.

How did your schooling go?
Normal as my peers. My mom says I still napped every afternoon till grade 2, about 8 years old. 

Did you feel the illness?
No, I do not feel it. I went through puberty just like everyone else, had the same struggles. The only time I would "feel it" is when I didn't take my medication for 2 days and I felt sick. The other times would be when I exercise, no matter how fit I was it just never made me feel good. I always got tired way faster than my teammates and sometimes felt like I would faint. It could just be me, I have friends with thyroid conditions that exercise regularly and they are fine with it.

Do blood draws get better better?
Yes, I use to scream, cry and fight like crazy. Then one day when I was about 11 or 12 I just didn't, I was so calm we all couldn't believe it. Now I have no anxiety, I just don't want to see the needle and I talk to the person who draws my blood so it distracts me. I also don't think about it. To all moms: it will get better. Try to be as calm as you possibly can, don't child your child you are going for a blood draw beforehand and reward them with a treat.

Being a female, do you think your period is worse?
I'm 22 now and I've never been on the pill or any hormone medication besides my thyroid medication. I got my period at around the same time as all my friends. In the beginning it was irregular and at times really bad. Now that I'm older it is more regular. I have my period every month, my cycle is between 25 to 33 days and my doctor said that's normal. My period is between 4 to 7 days long. The pain is bearable, I do take painkillers and then it's ok. It has never felt like a problem to me.

Anything your parents did to making taking a pill everyday easier?
My mom made a powder out of the pill in a spoon and put the spoon in my mouth. Another mom showed me that you get some thyroid medication in liquid form, maybe ask your doctor about it.
Neither me or my parents can remember from what age I started taking my medication on my own and keeping track of it, it was at a young age because that is just my way of life.

Now that you are older and living with this as an adult, is there anything specific or major that challenges you cause by your thyroid?
My dry skin, specifically my legs. Still trying to figure out if going back to Eltroxin is making a difference. Chronic tiredness is major. I need lots of sleep, but still need to get work done and still have a great life. I found planning is key and sometimes pushing yourself too hard just isn't worth it so just go to bed.

Any foods that you've found to interfere?
None at all. I love coffee, but I am consciously aware that I can only drink it after at least half an hour after taking my medication. I tend to drink less or no coffee when I have my period, because it makes me feel strange. I've heard something about soy, but I don't have any soy in my diet it's just not a thing in our house.

I hope these questions have answered some of the questions you also might have. Feel free to ask me more: Instagram & Facebook

Have a great day
xoxo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New beginnings

Third month on Eltroxin New Formulation

After exams